(0) 1252 757213

Friday 2nd January – a mad mad day

5:50am – Rise from bed

I have a quick cuppa and a bowl of cereal and chuck a few things in an overnight bag, just in case. I throw some clothes on wrapping up warm to brave the freezing temperatures outside.

6:30am – Leave for the Hospital

My journey is swift and I travel the 45 miles in about 50 minutes flat. The traffic is minimal and there are no delays as I storm down the A3, enjoying the speed and flying past a number of cars in the outside lane. I am concious of getting there just before 7:30am in order to catch the people I need to see as they arrive.

7:20am – Arrive at the hospital

I find my way down to the Beacon Ward at St Helier and they are expecting me it would seem and usher me to take a seat in the waiting room. What no bed? Ah! My old bed is now occupied and there quite evidently aren’t any other spares. Shit! I will miss the Phlebotemist when she arrives and I am also offered nothing to drink. I ask for it and I get a cup half full of water. They keep telling me to drink 3 litres of water a day to keep my fluid intake high and this just won’t cut it. It’s enough to quaff down my cocktail of pills, that I am glad are tumbling down in numbers.

No sign of any doctors, am I going to go forgotten about in the corner. So I step up from my seat and walk over to the desk and plainly ask, “What am I to expect today, anybody seeing me at a certain time and who will it be?”. My question is greeted with a blunt reply, “What do you expect me to know? I have no idea”, the nurse replied, her colleague detects my icy demeanour and reassures me that she will personally find me a doctor. I am also thinking that I was wise to have a cuppa and some brekky before leaving the house, as I am in fact actually discharged. The Registrar I saw on Wednesday was clearly talking rubbish when he said my bed would be preserved and I go back to it like a naughty child, well that’s how he spoke to me!

A little later she comes over to me to let me know someone is on their way and then…

“Hi Nick, what are you doing here?”, asks a familiar voice, one of the Phlebotemists I know pretty well greets me, I ask her if she has me on her list and sure enough she does. I do the business, stick out my arm in return for a few samples of blood! Progress at last!

9am – The Doctors arrive

As promised a Doctor arrives, in fact two of them come along and they inform me that there will be a long wait for the results for both the blood test and the biopsy to come back. He asks me how far I have travelled and when I tell him he suggests I stay close by. “Maybe you can take a walk around Carshalton or sit down in the cafe. You could also go home but you may need to come back later”. I tell them I shall do whatever I feel is best and make sure he has my mobile.

I decide to go home!

4pm – The bearer of good news

In fact I am glad I did because at around 4pm, Doctor Andrews phones me to tell me some good news. The biopsy is all clear and the blood results show things are returning to normal. I can cut my Tacrolimus dosage down to 2mg and 1mg at both ends of the day. Even better my next outpatient appointment is next Friday. Next week will be a normal working week. Hu-bloody-rah!

I am delighted as you can imagine 🙂 I phoned Tina, my parents and the Office to break the great news and everyone was delighted to hear about it.

Let’s start the New Year, Tina and I are going to celebrate tomorrow by treating ourselves to a nice meal out…

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Close Menu


%d bloggers like this: